There’s nothing worse than the smell of pee…unless of course you can’t find it and your blacklight isn’t working.
How do you find cat urine without a blacklight?
In order to find cat urine without a blacklight, you really have four options.
- First Check the usual suspects. There are areas of the house that cats are more prone to pee in/on than others. These are things like planters, dark areas under other things, corners of carpeted rooms and funny enough new things that smell.
- Clean Everything. When you know you can smell it but you can’t seem to find it you need to move all of the furniture and clean everything. If you think it is in the carpet somewhere removing everything will help.
- Use your nose. Unfortunately, you may have to literally get down on your hands and knees and smell a lot of areas to find it. Could be on the carpet or on the couch or on the bedding.
- Use peroxide and baking soda. The primary ingredient you are smelling is the ammonia in the urine. So mix some peroxide and baking soda in a spray bottle and spray the area you think it is. If the area goes white you have a winner.
Stop spraying and peeing at the source
Sometimes even when you find the pee and are able to clean it your cat still keeps on peeing outside the litter box.
This can be very frustrating.
Below is a link to a course that outlines a plan to stop your cat from spraying outside the litter box. I think that it is always worth investing in learning how to properly train and support our pets. This may be helpful to you so check it out. Click on the image below to get the information.
How to clean the area after you find the pee
The biggest thing is that once you have found the pee spot you need to not only clean it but you need to then make sure that the cat stops peeing there altogether.
Home Made Remedies
- Vinegar. Mix a water and vinegar solution. Vinegar is great for killing bacteria. This mixture is perfect for both old and new stains. Try 1 1/2 cups of warm water and a 1/2 cup of vinegar. Pour this over the stain and soak for about 3 to 5 minutes. Note: vinegar is not good for marble or stone.
- Baking Soda. After you have done the vinegar thing and it’s dry put a healthy amount of baking soda over the spot and then vacuum it up. A lot.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Hard materials such as tile, wood flooring, and baseboards can be cleaned using a safe, natural solution like one part hydrogen peroxide and two parts water, or undiluted white vinegar. Liberally spray the solution on the urine stain, wipe, and repeat as often as necessary to eliminate any lingering odour.
- The best product by far on AMAZON is
- The other great product you can get on AMAZON is safe, enzyme free and guranteed to work … it is
cat urine not showing under black light
In order for the blacklight method to work you need to have darkness…so either at night or with all the blinds closed and lights off.
The next most important thing is the wavelength of the light itself.
UV light wavelengths may vary from 10 to 400 nm (nanometers, or billionth parts of a meter). Most flashlights are marked to indicate what wavelength they are
The most common are LED lamps with 400 nm, 385 nm, or 365 nm in general stores.
DO NOT buy lamps with a wavelength of 395 or 400 nm. They are almost useless in finding cat urine because they are too close to being visible light.
For best results, we recommend going with 365 or 385 nm.
The number of LED bulbs also makes a difference in how easy it is to find cat urine. For household use, you can easily go with 9 or 12 LED bulbs in a lamp.
This flashlight below will also help you find bedbugs in hotels and scorpions if you need to.
What Stains Show Under Blacklight
- If your male cat sprayed to mark his territory on the wall, it may look like a splatter, with a few drips running down the wall. If the cat peed on the floor, you might just see a large round-ish spot.
- Some cleaning products and other household materials, including wallpaper glue, may glow under a black light, so don’t panic if your whole room lights up when you turn on the UV light.
- Other substances, including some bodily fluids and tonic water, may also glow. Use the location, size, shape, and smell of the spots to determine if it’s cat urine
How are Ragdolls with the litter box and peeing
Most ragdolls are really good at using the litter box, but like any cat, they can go amiss from time to time. Generally speaking, ragdoll cats are really good, if you find that you are smelling pee pay attention to the points above and do your best. Try not to get frustrated.